This archive contains KWPN-NA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Please choose from one of the questions listed below to view its answer.

How do I place a classifieds ad for my KWPN-NA horse?

A perk of membership to the KWPN-NA is the ability to list your KWPN-NA horses for sale on our Classifieds page. This allows your horse to be advertised to other KWPN-NA members that may be looking for another horse to add to their program.

We have created a Placing an Ad How-To to answer any questions you may have for creating an advertisement for your horse.

Can I change the registered name of my Dutch horse?

Yes, you are able to change the registered name of your horse if the horse has no registered offspring. The new name MUST start with the assigned letter of the year, so the new name must start with the same letter as the original name.

You must be the owner of record to change a horse’s name. The form is on the Forms page of the website and the fee is $50. If the change is done at the time of a keuring or before a horse’s first set of papers is printed, there is no charge.

How do I get a passport for my horse?

You will need to contact the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF). You can download the passport application at:

Where can I buy a KWPN horse?

The KWPN-NA does not make any recommendations for buying horses. However, horses are advertised in the ‘For Sale’ section on the website. Both the ‘Web Links’ and the ‘Breeder’s Geographic Directory’ contain links to breeders and owners of horses, both in North America and the Netherlands. The KWPN-NA does not make any guarantees either expressed or implied in connection with ads or links.

Does the KWPN-NA brand all horses?

No. Only horses age 3 and older that have successfully completed a studbook inspection are eligible for branding, and only if the owner so chooses. Geldings can only be branded if they receive the Ster predicate.

What happens at a keuring?

At a keuring there are classes for young horses (weanlings, yearlings and two year olds) as well as classes for adult horses. Studbook inspection classes are offered for horses 3 years and older and include an evaluation of conformation and movement or free-jumping. Stallions are evaluated for approval at select locations. There are also classes for young jumpers and young dressage horses.

How do I sign my horse up for a keuring?

Keuring entry information will be available on the website after the year’s keuring tour has been organized. The KWPN-NA also sends out entry booklets to all current members in mid to late April. Included is a description of classes as well as an entry form and liability release. It is important for the owners of mares born into the Register A book to inquire about any Keur/Elite requirements that may need to be completed.

Should I take my horse to a keuring?

Yes, if possible. The keuring system offers an evaluation of your horse against the standard for KWPN horses worldwide. Information is compiled on the keuring results, thereby providing feedback for breeders and the community at large on the success of various bloodlines and breeding choices. Mares and stallions can also receive “predicates” based on the quality of their offspring at keuringen. A keuring is an educational and marketing opportunity.

Why do I need to send in pictures of a newly imported horse?

The office needs to have photos on file in case your registration papers get lost or destroyed. If you need to apply for Duplicate papers it helps to have existing photographs of the horse on file for comparison. We also check the markings and compare them to the photos.

If I send in the KWPN (Dutch) papers, will I get them back?

When doing a transfer of ownership you will not receive back the original papers that you send in. The transfer will be completed in our database and a brand new set of papers with your name as owner on the back will be issued to you.

I just purchased a Dutch horse. Should I transfer the ownership?

Transferring ownership of your horse will provide an extra level of security for you and your horse. The papers identify the horse by markings and possibly by photos. As the new owner you will now have documentation (the registration papers with the transfer indicated) that you own the horse. In the unfortunate event that you lose the registration paper of your horse it will be much, much easier to apply for and receive duplicate registration papers.

Additionally you must be the owner of record of the horse in order to qualify for any sport or year-end awards.

How do I transfer the ownership of a horse into my name?

A Transfer of Ownership form must be submitted. The fee for a transfer of ownership is $25 for a full member, $110 if you would like to become a full member at the same time as doing the transfer or $50 for a non-member. Please send in the original Registration Paper (this is required!) and a copy of your Bill of Sale and the passport if available. If you are the first North American owner of record for an imported horse, three photos (clearly showing all markings) must also be included. If you bought the horse from someone other than the Owner of Record listed on the papers, the KWPN-NA requires Bills of Sale back to the owner of record, or in the case of an imported horse, to the owner or agent in Holland. The Bill of Sale does not need to specify the amount of purchase. The previous owner may also sign the transfer form instead of issuing a Bill of Sale. You do not need the previous owner’s signature on the transfer form if you have a signed Bill of Sale. Mail the above with the appropriate fees to the KWPN-NA office.

Does a Dutch horse have to be inspected in order to be registered?

No. Foals are registered in one of several “books” on the basis of their pedigree. A foal book registered foal is considered to be of good quality when it is the product of approved/licensed parents, worthy of papers documenting its good pedigree. At 3 years of age a horse can be presented for studbook.

What about naming my foal? Does the KWPN-NA allow duplication of names?

Each foal born in a given year must have a name not to exceed 20 characters or spaces and beginning with the designated letter for that year. For example, the designated letter for 2018 is “N”. All registered foals will have a unique registration number. The KWPN does not have a unique naming requirement except in the case of Approved stallions. Approved stallions must have a unique name and in some cases must be renamed.

How do I register a foal?

If your mare was bred to a KWPN-NA activated stallion, breeding information should already be sent to the KWPN-NA by the stallion owner/agent. If your mare was bred with imported, frozen semen or to an outside stallion, you will have the responsibility of reporting the breeding to the KWPN-NA. Forms to report your breeding are available on the website. From this information, the database will be updated and current members will be given their login information to our Member Portal where they can register their foal online. Hard copy foal birth declarations are also available upon request.

Foals may be registered by the Owner of Record of the mare or the Lessee of Record of the mare at the time of the birth. If the foal is sold before registration, the new owner must obtain the Birth Declaration from the mare owner and send it in along with a Bill of Sale from the Mare Owner of Record.

Registration papers will not be released until DNA verification is complete and the microchip affidavit is returned.

What do I need for a Transfer of Ownership?

To transfer ownership on a horse you will need:

  • A Transfer of Ownership form (found on the KWPN-NA website.)
  • Original Registration Papers. No copies of registration papers are accepted. Originals only!
  • A copy of your Bill of Sale.*
  • The passport if the horse was issued one

Photos: If an imported horse is being transferred to a North American owner for the first time,  three photos (clearly showing all markings) are also required.

* Bill of Sale:

  • If you buy the horse from someone other than the owner listed on the papers, you will need a clear paper trail going back to the owner of record listed on the registration papers.
  • In the case of a first-time transfer on a horse imported from Holland, the paper trail needs to go back to the owner or their agent in Holland.
  • The paper trail may consist of a signed bill of sale, a simple release of ownership, consecutive signatures in a passport, copies wire transfers to the owner of record, etc.
  • With a bill of sale signed by the owner of record with the KWPN or KWPN-NA, you do not need the owner’s signature on the transfer form.
  • If none of this is available, please submit an Ownership Affidavit (avail. on the forms page) along with your transfer

What are the benefits of joining the KWPN-NA?

Members will receive eNewsletters and are eligible to register horses, transfer horses and participate in a Keuring. Members are also eligible for horse show awards and year-end sport awards; are eligible to vote; are eligible to take part in the Stallion Service Auction; and are eligible to attend the Annual Meeting and other educational activities.

How do I join the KWPN-NA?

A membership form is available on the website, or you can return the Renewal form mailed by the KWPN-NA office. There is also an option to renew via the login page of our Member Portal linked at the top left corner of our page. The member year runs from January 1–December 31 and includes the award program and a quarterly newsletter. Rates are $850 for a lifetime membership, $85 for a full membership, $50 for an associate membership and $35 for a youth membership. The KWPN-NA accepts checks (in US funds), Visa, Discover or MasterCard.

Full membership is required for registering horses and transferring ownership at the member rate. Associate and Youth memberships will allow you to participate in year-end awards programs.

What does KWPN stand for?

KWPN stands for Koninkijk Warmbloed Paardenstamboek van Nederland, which translates to Royal Warmblood Horse Studbook of the Netherlands. KWPN-NA stands for KWPN of North America.